Archives for 2015

Do you live in an old house in Whiston?

In 1826 the Sneyd Family commissioned a survey of the Manor of Whiston that numbered every building and piece of land on a plan.  Unfortunately the plan has not survived but the accompanying schedule has.  The schedule lists the names of owners and occupiers together with the external dimensions of houses and buildings, together with […]

Mention of the “Pinfold Croft” in old newspapers.

Further research has taken place at Stafford Record Office that sheds more light on the history of the pinfold, suggesting it was in existence in 1827. We already knew that the 1814 Tithe Map showed the garden of “The Hining” (red brick detached house near the pinfold), as field No. 33, being owned by the Duke of Devonshire, whose primary interest […]

What will the pinfold look like?

Excavation of the grassy mound revealed stone wall foundations in the shape of a square with internal dimensions of 20ft x 20ft, with a 9ft wide entrance on the main road (turnpike) side.   The wall remnants suggest that the front main road wall (NW) onto the turnpike road was of a higher quality build than the other three […]

Importing Additional Stone

Excavation of the pinfold revealed that a considerable quantity of the original stone had been robbed out requiring an additional supply to be imported from a local sustainable source.  A supply of suitable stone was located 200m away on Whiston Hall Golf Club land near the industrial tramway bridge on Black Lane.  An approach was […]

The Start of Re-build.

Excavation of the pinfold foundations revealed the original wall to be of considerable breadth and of overall larger dimensions than expected.  The re-build will aim to replicate the original features as closely as is reasonably practicable  and  require considerable investment of staff hours. The walling time allocation in the Churnet Valley Living Landscape Partnership multi-project schedule, is to be followed by further […]

The original entrance found

  Following mechanical excavation to remove the bulk of the infill material hand digging was necessary to expose the foundations of the original walls.  The work was undertaken by a team of volunteers from the Staffordshire Wildlife Trust Practical Projects Volunteer Group over a period of two days, under supervision of Andrew Brown Jackson, the […]

Objects found during pinfold excavation

During excavation numerous glass bottles and earthenware pots along with other articles were found.  Examples are shown on the following photographs.   Research so far suggests the bottles date to the period 1900 to 1915.   A Victorian halfpenny coin has been found and the remains of a woman’s shoe.  No clay pipe remains were found. At the lowest […]

Hand Digging to expose the original Foundations

Once mechanical digger excavation was complete, the Staffordshire Wildlife Trust Practical Projects Volunteer Group hand dug the inside perimeter of the site to expose the original foundation stones, so that an assessment could be made of their suitability to support the re-build.

Pinfold Restoration- Work gets underway

Restoration of the village pinfold at the junction of Black Lane and the main A52 started on Monday 12 October 2015, with the main excavation of 72 cubic metres of infill material being undertaken by N & J Tree Services of Brown Edge.  Shaun Gratton expertly operated his very versatile digger with its universal joint bucket, enabling […]

Start Date for Restoration

Arrangements are in hand for restoration work on our village pinfold to start on Monday 12th October.  Traffic lights will be in place on the A52 main road and Black Lane will remain open. Work is expected to last about seven working days.