Whiston Village Pinfold Restoration Project

Briefing Note for information of BKV Judges

Old maps show that a pinfold was built sometime between 1839 and 1879 at the junction of the A52 Ashbourne Road and Black Lane on the north edge of the village. It was a stone wall built square structure approximately 6m x 6m used to secure stray animals until they were claimed by the owner. Unfortunately, the pinfold was filled in with waste material before living memory and today appears as a grassy mound with only remnants of the walls remaining.
The parish council has been successful in securing funding for restoration of the pinfold with grants from the Moorlands Partnership Board and the Heritage Lottery Churnet Valley Community Grant Scheme, supplemented by a generous in kind contribution from SCC Highways. An additional grant application to County Councillor Mike Worthington’s SCC Local Community Fund is currently being processed. Together with a personal donation by Councillor Howard Mycock and the parish council’s own contribution sufficient funds have now been raised to meet the anticipated costs of restoration.
Later in the year we hope to sensitively excavate the infill material and rebuild the stone walls using local materials and techniques. A gate will be installed along with an educational interpretation plaque to explain the feature’s original use. The surrounding area is to be seeded and maintained to present a welcoming statement on the approach to the village, adding a local interest feature to support future Best Kept Village Competition entries.
The pictures overleaf show the existing grassy mound and a similar shaped pinfold in better condition at Capenhurst, Cheshire.

Ivan Kent
Little Ship, Black Lane, Whiston, ST10 2JQ
Project Secretary
15/05/2015

1899 OS Map showing Pinfold

1899 OS Map showing Pinfold

image1

image2